Multiple suspects involved in shootings and other violent crimes were arrested last week, authorities in Newark said.
Patrol officers and members of the Shooting Response Team were able to uncover evidence that led to arrests, warrants issued, and closure of investigations for the following incidents between July 6 and Aug. 11, Newark Public Safety Director Anthony F. Ambrose said.
Here are the suspects taken into custody (some are still at large).
- July 6, Dickerson Street: Eduardo Rodriguez, accused co-conspirator, arrested for aggravated assault and conspiracy
- July 27, Washington Street: Thomas Hopkins was arrested for discharging a firearm into the air during a dispute. Search warrant led to the recovery of a 9mm handgun
- July 27, Springfield Avenue: Dale Holly and Chelayyah Hall were arrested for a shooting and a 9mm handgun was recoverd. A follow-up investigation led to the positive identification and arrest of a 3rd suspect, Almuta Thomas, who is in custody for Aggravated Assault and firearm offenses.
- July 25, Riverside Court: Tashin Smith was idenfied in a shooting incident and was arrested for Aggravated Assault and firearm offenses
- July 29: 16th Avenue: Dahmar Robinson was involved in a shooting incident and was arrested for Aggravated Assault, firearm and narcotic offenses
- July 29, Pomona Avenue: A juvenile was identified in a shooting incident as one of several suspects shooting at others and was taken into custody for Attempted Murder and firearm offenses. A search warrant related to this matter lead to the recovery of a 7.62 caliber assault rifle along with 65 rounds of ammunition
- Aug. 1, Grumman Avenue: An investigation led to the identification of 3 juveniles and all were taken into cutody for firearm and narcotic offenses. A search warrant resulted in the recovery of two .40 caliber handguns and cocaine
- Aug. 2, 6th Avenue: Jermell Johnson was identified in a shooting incident and an arrest warrant was issued for Aggravated Assault and other offenses. Police are seeking the public’s help with locating Johnson.
- Aug. 4, Willoughby Street: Daryl Jefferson was identified in a shooting incident and has been arrested. A search warrant of a dwelling related to this incident resulted in the recovery of loaded 7.62 caliber assault firearm
- Aug. 5, South Orange Avenue: Joseph Jones and Quasheam Clyburn were involved in a shooting incident and were arrested on the scene. Two 9 mm handguns were recovered and a 3rd suspect, Ali Smith, was later identified through investigative measures. An arrest warrant was issued for Smith. Police are seeking the public’s help with locating Smith.
- Aug. 5, Irvine Turner Boulevard: A juvenile was involved in shooting incident and was identified during investigative process and taken into custody
- Aug. 7,Springfield Avenue: Roger Gasca arrested for discharging a firearm within city limits
- Aug. 9, Seabury Street: Ivan Figueroa was arrested on weapons charges after firing a gun
- Aug. 11, W. Runyon Street: Dwight Peebles was involved in a shooting incident and was arrested on charges of aggravated assault and weapons charges
Director Ambrose urges anyone with information about the whereabouts of the wanted suspects to call the Division's 24-hour Crime Stopper tip line at 1-877-NWK-TIPS (1-877-695-8477). All anonymous Crime Stopper tips are kept confidential and could result in a reward.
Anonymous tips may also be made using the Police Division’s website at: www.newarkpd.org or through our Smartphone App available at iTunes and Google Play. Search Newark Police Division to download the App.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.