A timely fire alarm may have saved a Yorktown family’s home after they left a coffee burner on the stove and it nearly burned down the residence.
Members of the Yorktown Heights Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to a Gomer Street home shortly before 11 a.m. on Wednesday, where there was a residential alarm.
Upon arrival, firefighters reported that they saw no fire evident from the outside of the home, and the homeowners were not present. However, as they approached the residence, audible smoke alarms could be heard from inside.
Fire crews were able to enter the home and found a “significant smoke condition” throughout the structure. During the primary search of the home for any possible occupants, firefighters determined that the homeowners had accidentally placed a coffee maker on a hot stove, left the residence for a short time and the coffee maker melted and began to catch fire.
Fire officials said that “had the alarms not notified the fire department, it is very possible they would have been dispatched and arrived at a working house fire.”
Officials noted that house fires have become increasingly dangerous, stating that in years past, people had approximately 10 minutes to escape a fire. Now, with modern furniture and other household items, that window has been decreased substantially to between two and three minutes.
“Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms are key in a home fire safety plan, especially those tied to a monitored alarm company that automatically alerts the fire department. More lives are continually saved from working smoke detectors year after year, than homes that either do not have smoke detectors, or have non-functioning ones.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.