Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Shelton Daily Voice serves Shelton, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

Shelton Daily Voice serves Shelton, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Garage Damaged By Fire In Milford

A detached garage caught fire after hot ashes were placed in a plastic recycling bin.
A detached garage caught fire after hot ashes were placed in a plastic recycling bin. Photo Credit: Milford Fire Department

A garage was partially destroyed by fire after the homeowner disposed of ashes from a wood-burning stove into a plastic recycling bin. 

The fire took place around 12:42 p.m. Monday at 169 Yale Ave., Milford, according to Milford Fire Department Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.

The first arriving firefighters found active fire extending up the exterior walls of the structure. Fire crews deployed a hose line and quickly extinguished the blaze, Fabrizi said.

 The majority of the damage was confined to the exterior of the two-car detached garage. A vehicle inside of the garage did not sustain any damage by the fire.

The homeowner told firefighters that he had emptied the ashes from his wood burning stove into a plastic recycling bin around 9:30 a.m. in the morning. He then placed the bin on the outside front corner of the garage which in turn ignited and spread to the structure, Fabrizi said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze in a detached garage.

Milford Fire Department

 No injuries were reported and the occupant was not displaced by the fire. 

An investigation is being conducted by the Milford Fire Marshal's Division.

"As a reminder, ashes and embers from a fireplace or wood burning stove must be placed in a fire rated metal container at a reasonable distance from your home or any combustible materials," Fabrizi said. 

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Shelton Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.