Mitchell's discussion will focus on the benefits of Nia, a mind/body/spirit fitness discipline that emphasizes experiencing joy through movement and music.
Nia (which stands for Neuromuscular Integrative Action) incorporates modern dance, martial arts, tai chi, jazz and the mindfulness of yoga to deliver a very powerful, safe, aerobic workout for all fitness levels, according to Mitchell.
The moves are simple and adaptable to people of all ages, sizes and abilities.
Mitchell's program will include:
- A brief personal introduction.
- A brief definition and history of the Nia Technique.
- The effects of aerobic exercise, versus stretching (including research on brain function -- for example, depression and dementia, the immune system, weight and balance).
- Creating new habits and maintaining them.
- Celebrating who you really are.
- A sample class introducing the main principles of the Nia Technique.
Guests should RSVP to Debra by Wednesday at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-741-0333, ext. 17.
The event will be from 7-8:30 p.m.
Harold and Elaine Shames JCC on the Hudson is at 371 S. Broadway, Tarrytown.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Tarrytown-SleepyHollow and receive free news updates.