VERPLANCK, N.Y. A Verplanck woman was pulled from a fire by her neighbor at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday evening, officials said. The neighbor found the woman lying on the floor wrapped in a blanket with severe inhalation burns when he pulled her out, said Verplanck Fire Chief Holly Haight.
Nora Jean Young, 48, was initially transported to Hudson Valley Hospital Center, but was later transported to Westchester Medical Center. David Billig, spokesperson for the medical center said the woman is in critical condition as of 4 p.m. Wednesday.
The small fire was contained to the trailer, located in the seaplane base adjacent to the Martin trailer park, but injured the woman severely, Haight said. She said the neighbor, Frank Laforgia, attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived on scene.
Investigator Sean Morgan, of the New York State Police, said that Laforgia reported to police hearing a pop and noticing a glow coming from Youngs trailer.
Haight said the fire is believed to be accidental, and appears it was caused by a cigarette. The woman was treated by Cortlandt paramedics. The Verplanck EMS and Cortlandt Volunteer Ambulance Corps also responded. The Montrose Fire Department and Buchanan Engine Company also responded to the fire.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.