Report: Westchester Mother Charged In Death Of Daughter Sends Holiday Card To Father's Family

The mother who allegedly killed her 2-year-old daughter and attempted to stab two police officers attempting to offer her aid reportedly sent her child’s family a macabre holiday present.

Cynthia Arce, far right, in Westchester County Court.

Cynthia Arce, far right, in Westchester County Court.

Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office
Cynthia Arce in Westchester County Court.

Cynthia Arce in Westchester County Court.

Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office

Cynthia Arce, 29, who pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder for the death of her daughter, Gabriella Boyd, sent a holiday card to her daughter’s father and family, according to a lohud report.

"It's comical how you hold onto her ashes. The four of you will never see her again. Happy New Year," the card reportedly read. "My apologies for the limited time you had with her. That's what God wanted. I'll ask Him why when I see him."

According to the report, Arce was back in court Friday, where an Order of Protection barring her from future contact with the family was issued. She faces no additional charges because the order had not been issued prior to her sending the holiday card.

On April 28 last year, members of the Mamaroneck Police Department responded to a Chestnut Avenue home, where there was an emergency call from Arce’s mother - who also lived with the family - reporting that someone was dying. Upon arrival, they found Boyd unresponsive on her bed.

Officers attempted to immediately resuscitate Boyd, while others checked the house, where they found Arce in an adjacent bedroom with the door closed.

Police said that Arce had her hands behind her back and refused to comply with orders to show her hands. When she did finally consent, she raised her arms above her shoulders, revealing two large knives, one in each hand.

Westchester County District Attorney Anthony Scarpino Jr. said that Arce charged at the officers, slashing at two of them. When tasers failed to subdue her, a third officer shot her, promptly ending the confrontation. Two of the officers suffered injuries in the struggle.

Police continued efforts to keep Boyd alive in the meantime until paramedics arrived. The toddler was transported to White Plains Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The death came less than 24 hours after Gabriella's father, Stephen Boyd attempted to have his daughter removed from Arce's home. He obtained a court order granting him temporary custody, barring Arce with any contact with the girl.

However, when police attempted to enforce the order on April 27, Arce refused to comply, claiming that the father had his regular visitation in the morning. Officers left the scene, citing that they did not have the authority to forcibly remove the girl from the Mamaroneck home.

The following day, Arce claimed that her daughter was sick, denying her father access to the child. Police then said that the matter was civil in nature, saying they could not enforce the court order.

An autopsy performed by the Westchester County Medical Examiner determined that Boyd’s death was a homicide.

Arce was taken to Westchester County Medical Center, where she was treated for several weeks for her gunshot wounds.

She was subsequently arrested at the hospital, charged, and remanded to the Westchester County Jail, where she has remained remanded since.

to follow Daily Voice Armonk and receive free news updates.