RUTHERFORD, N.J. — With summer closing and school days resuming, AAA reminds drivers to watch out for pedestrians before and after school hours.
In the last 10 years, roughly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3-7 p.m., according to AAA.
Carlstadt Public School, McKenzie School and Alfred S. Faust Intermediate School opened their doors to students Wednesday.
Registration for the 2015-16 school year at Montessori School of East Rutherford is in progress.
Rutherford Kindergarten Center, Lincoln School, Pierrepont School, Rutherford High School, Union School and Washington School begin classes for students Tuesday.
St. Mary High School students report to school Wednesday, Sept. 9. Queen of Peace High School will begin operating on a full-day schedule Monday, Sept. 14.
Tips to remember when driving during the school year include:
- Slow down and be mindful of speed limits in school zones.
- Come to a complete stop and check crosswalks and sidewalks for children.
- Eliminate distractions, such as cell phones.
- Slowly backup when reversing and check all blind spots.
- Watch for bicycles and make sure children wear bike helmets.
- Talk to teen drivers about safety.
Click here for more safety tips and information.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Rutherford and receive free news updates.