Barbecue has never been New Jersey's forte.
That didn't stop an NJ.com reporter from trekking 1,200 miles to find the best southern BBQ spots, though.
Peter Genovese compiled a list of the top 31 barbecue spots in New Jersey, with several of them in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex and Union counties.
- Bobcats Texas BBQ, Ramsey -- the owner is a Texas native. Try the brisket or pulled pork sandwiches.
- Red White & Que, Kearny -- Try the brisket sandwich.
- Big Papa Smoke'm, Bogota/food trucks -- Try the ribs with sauce on the side.
- Kimchi Smoke, Westwood -- Try the redneck tacos and Korean slaw.
- Fink's BBQ Smokehouse, Dumont -- Try the creative specials like flying pig gumbo and wild boar chili.
- Texas Smoke BBQ, Jefferson -- Try the pulled pork with sauce on the side.
- Daddy Matty's BBQ, Madison -- This dad took his backyard BBQ to a storefront. Try the ribs and German potato salad.
Click here for the full list from NJ.com.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Hudson and receive free news updates.