Have you seen him?
Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart, and local police are once again seeking the public’s assistance as they continue attempts to track down a man who allegedly killed another at a Long Island pool hall a year ago.
The Suffolk County Police Department issued an alert and video on Monday, July 22, seeking information on the whereabouts of Alejandro Vargas-Diaz, who allegedly killed Albert Luis Rodriguez-Lopez a year ago.
According to police, Rodriguez-Lopez was at Billiards DBM in Port Jefferson on July 22, last year when he was involved in an argument with Alejandro Vargas-Diaz and was fatally shot.
“Homicide detectives have searched tirelessly for the suspect, who also goes by the names Papujo, Alejandro deVargas-Diaz, and Robin Vargas, and an arrest warrant has been issued,” investigators noted. “He has relatives in Brooklyn, Queens, Paramus and Patterson, New Jersey and Hartford, Connecticut—locations that have all been canvassed by detectives. Both the victim and suspect are originally from Sabana Iglesia in the Dominican Republic.”
Hart said that “the feeling in the community is that this incident was an accident. I am here to tell you this was no accident. Vargas-Diaz shot Rodriguez-Lopez, who was unarmed, three times. This was an intentional murder.”
A $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of Vargas-Diaz. Anyone with information has been asked to contact the Suffolk County Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-220-TIPS or submitting information online.
“We will not stop until justice has been served for this family,” Bellone said. “But we need the public’s help to do it.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.