Amid the highest measles outbreak in the nation in 25 years, health officials have confirmed the first adult case of the disease in Suffolk County.
The person arrived recently arrived from outside the United States, the health department said, noting that the case doesn't appear to be related to the nationwide outbreak.
Anyone who visited the BNB Bank at 48 East Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays, on Saturday, April 20, from around 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m. may have been exposed, the department said, and should call the Suffolk Department of Health Services at 631-854-0333.
In total, there have been 681 measles cases reported in 22 states this year, according to health officials. Between Jan. 1 and Monday, April 21, the Centers for Disease Control said that there have been 626 individual cases confirmed, an increase of 71 in the past week.
The states reporting measles cases are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.
Last month, UNICEF warned that “global cases of measles are surging to alarmingly high levels, led by 10 countries accounting for more than 74 percent of the total increase and several others that had previously been declared measles free.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.