One Nabbed After SUV Flees Poughkeepsie Sex Sting Armed Robbery, Police Say

One of two men who took part in an alleged sex sting armed robbery has been arrested after fleeing the scene.

Michael Fazio

Michael Fazio

Photo Credit: City of Poughkeepsie Police

The incident began around 1:11 a.m. Wednesday when the City of Poughkeepsie Police began receiving numerous calls reporting multiple shots fired in the area of 77 Carroll St., with reports of a dark-colored SUV fleeing the area, said Det. Lt. Matt Clark. 

One of the responding officers spotted a dark-colored SUV on Academy Street without its headlights on. The officer turned around, caught up to the vehicle, and stopped it. The driver Michael Fazio, 22, of Modena, was detained, Clark said.

Other officers responded to a residence on Carroll Street where two victims were located. The victims gave the following story said one of them had made arrangements to meet a female for sex. When the female arrived, two other subjects wearing masks were with her, one of whom was armed with a handgun, Clark added.

 The masked subjects attempted to rob the one victim when he resisted and the subject with the handgun fired two rounds. A friend of the victim came out to help and a struggle ensued. At least one more shot was fired during the struggle, Clark said.

 The victims were able to get the handgun away from the suspect. The suspects fled in a dark-colored SUV driven by Fazio. A 9mm handgun was recovered at the victim's house.

A search of Fazio's vehicle found a live 9mm round, several unloaded magazines, an empty box of 9mm ammunition, a bag of marijuana and a quantity of methamphetamine, Clark stated.

The investigation into the identities of the others involved is continuing.

Clark said the handgun is what is known as a “ghost gun” which is a gun that is 80 percent complete when it is legally sold. It has no identifying marks on it, and because it is not finished is not considered a working firearm. The buyer then completes the other 20 percent of the work themselves and they have a working firearm.

Fazio was charged with two counts of felony possession of a controlled substance and a violation for marijuana possession. Other charges may be filed later.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the City of Poughkeepsie Police at 845-451-7577.

to follow Daily Voice Southwest Dutchess and receive free news updates.