SOMERS, N.Y. -- A cigarette tossed into a mulch pile outside a Somer's home is being blamed for causing a fire in the basement of a Lake Road residence, according to the Somers Fire Department.
Somers firefighters arrived on scene within four minutes after receiving a call regarding a single-story ranch-type home with smoke in the basement.
While the interior crews worked to open up the ceiling and walls to locate the fire, exterior crews found a smoldering mulch fire against the house which caused the fire to travel to the basement, according to the fire department.
The fire was extinguished on both the interior and exterior. A preliminary cause of the fire was the discarded cigarette butt.
Firefighters are reminding residents to be careful about disposing of used cigarettes and ensure they are completely out and put in a safe place.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.