The sixth annual Veterans Appreciation Day and Memorial Day Tribute will take place from noon to 4 p.m. Veterans and their families will receive a free parking pass and up to five free ride/entrance bands, with discount ride coupons available for additional need.
Veterans who arrive at the park will be greeted by the Westchester Police Emerald Society Pipe and Drum Corps, who will perform at the main gate at noon.
At 12:10 p.m., there will be a ceremony on the Main State to pay tribute to the men and women who have lost their lives in military service. The tribute will be led by Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino. After the ceremony, a barbecue will be co-sponsored by Fordham University and the Generoso Pope Foundation.
“This is always a great event and a way for us to show our veterans and their families how much we appreciate their sacrifices,” said Astorino.
Westchester veterans must preregister for the event, and can pick up their wrist bands beginning at 11 a.m. at the Boathouse area at the far end of the park. A valid military and or veteran organization/VA Health ID card is required.
You may preregister at one of the following locations:
- Monday, May 13, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Mohansic Golf Course, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Maple Moor Golf Course or from 1 to 3 p.m. at Peekskill City Hall.
- Tuesday, May 14, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Dunwoodie Golf Course or from 1 to 3 p.m. at Sprain Lake Golf Course.
- Wednesday, May 15, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Saxon Woods Golf Course or from 1 to 3 p.m. at Glen Island Park.
- Thursday, May 16, from 9 to 11 a.m. at Saxon Woods Pool or from 1 to 3 p.m. at Tibbetts Brook Pool.
- Friday, May 17, from 9 to 11 a.m. at the County Center or from 1 to 3 p.m. at the County Center.
- You can also register May 13 to May 22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Westchester County Veterans, Yonkers Veterans Agency or Mount Vernon Veterans Agency.
For further information, contact the Westchester County Veterans Service Agency at 914-995-2145 or 914-995-2146.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Rye and receive free news updates.