OSSINING, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Ossining last week:
- Trustee Victoria Gearity has defeated Ossining Mayor Bill Hanauer, 2,705 votes to 1,494 votes with 100 percent of the vote counted, in the Ossining mayoral election. Hanauer has been mayor since 2006
- Drivers in Westchester County and throughout New York State could face tougher fines and penalties if caught texting and driving.
- One IBM employee was taken to the hospital after being exposed to cyanide Wednesday morning, according to Lt. Kevin Soravilla of the Yorktown police.
- Westchester County has seven different school districts in the top 25 rankings of best public school systems, according to Niche, an education website dedicated to providing rankings and systems on school districts throughout the country.
- On the heels of the 42nd anniversary of the federal Clean Water Act, a new report tells the story of how the bedrock environmental law has helped to restore and protect the Hudson River.
- David Carlucci was easily elected to a third term in the 38th State Senate District.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.