According to police, at approximately 8:50 a.m. on Thursday, the department received a call from security guards at the high school reporting that a stabbing had occurred at the school, and a 15-year-old suspect was seen on video fleeing the building.
New Rochelle Police Capt. Robert Gazzola said that a 16-year-old student suffered two puncture wounds to his torso and has been transported to Jacobi Medical Center for treatment for what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries. He deferred any further comment to the Board of Education.
In a statement released at approximately noon on Thursday, school officials said the high school was first put in a “hold-in-place” mode, where students must remain in the class or room they are in, though classes continue. The school later moved to a lockout protocol after the student was seen on video fleeing the building. That lockout was later modified to “tight controls on access so that positively identified individuals with legitimate business can enter or exit.”
Thursday’s incident comes a day after a teenage student suffered a lacerated hand during an altercation at a New Rochelle pizza place, and eight days after New Rochelle High School junior Valaree Schwab was fatally stabbed outside Dunkin’ Donuts on North Avenue during a separate incident.
School officials added that “security has been increased in the school since last week’s incident. Police are present at the school building today to assist with maintaining safety.”
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Rochelle and receive free news updates.