NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. - The New Rochelle City Council got a glimpse into the future on Tuesday, when Twining Properties showcased their vision for the city’s waterfront property at Echo Bay.
Do you support the potential waterfront development proposed by Twining Properties?
At the latest City Council Meeting, Twining Properties presented their vision for Echo Bay that includes a mixed-use, multi-purpose development where the current City Yard is located.
Last month, council members paved the way for the Echo Bay development when they unanimously approved an agreement to secure funds to move the Public Works Operation Center to the ground level of the Home Depot/Costco complex at Nardozzi Place.
According to city officials, the “Pratt Landing” plan calls for a mix of residences, stores, offices, open space and a hotel, surrounded by a waterfront esplanade. When progress is made, the city plans to work with Twining Properties and the community to determine the best use of the adjoining Armory.
Twining properties had perviously signed an exclusivity contract with the city for the waterfront development, which has been extended until Jan. 31, 2017 to allow for proper time, planning and discussion.
“This extension gives us the necessary time to evaluate the project, and receive input from the community as well,” City Manager Chuck Strome III said. If the City Council chooses to move forward, it will be an inclusive, public, multi-step process, beginning with the Council taking action to create a “Memorandum of Understanding with Twining Properties.”
On Facebook, City Councilman Jared Rice explained that while much of the residential development will be high end, at least 10 percent will be earmarked as affordable housing.
“Nobody will get (priced out), the current site is our soon to be former City Yard. As far as affordability, this development will have to comply with our 10 percent affordable housing set aside,” he posted. “But to (the) point, the remaining 90 percent will be pricy and we have to continue as a city to focus on affordable housing in other developments.”
New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson noted that while this is a step forward for the City Council, the Echo Bay waterfront development is only in its infancy.
“Many steps must still be taken before this new vision can be achieved - or even approved - and lots of changes are possible as we move through the environmental review process and receive public input,” New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson stated. “View these images and plans as preliminary, not final.
“An open, vibrant, clean, active waterfront would benefit our entire city enormously, so I am very excited about the possibilities. But even under the most ambitious timetable, infrastructure work could not commence until late 2018, with above-ground construction beginning in early 2020, so patience and careful deliberation are still required.”
Twining Properties’ complete presentation can be viewed online. Do you support this proposal for an Echo Bay waterfront development? Vote in our poll and continue the conversation in the comments section and on Facebook.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.