Some fast-acting neighbors jumped into action over the weekend, helping a neighbor prevent a potential kitchen fire and rescuing the family’s dog in the process.
Shortly after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, officials from the Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department said that Andy Shapley and Nick Kalyvas went running into an unoccupied home on Windsor Road in Croton-on-Hudson in the Mount Airy Fire District when they saw smoke coming from a window.
Officials said the two men proceeded to charge into the smoky house, taking a fire extinguisher and knocking down the flames of a kitchen fire that had broken out. They also escorted the dog out of the home to safety while waiting for fire crews to arrive.
Upon arrival, firefighters finished extinguishing the fire, soaking several cabinets and knocking down hot pockets of fire. The home was then vented before the scene was cleared.
“The Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department would like to take this opportunity and recognize the two neighbors - Mr. Andy Shapley and Mr. Nick Kalyvas - that jumped into action today, preventing what would likely have been a much, much worse scenario,” the department posted on Facebook. “Neighbors helping neighbors - that’s what makes Croton such a great place to live!”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.