SPARKILL, N.Y. -- DV Home Cooking is a new series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Jeff Lewis, Sparkill, N.Y.
"If there’s anything I must have in my house, especially in winter, it’s my homemade chili. Everyone in my house (except for my son) loves it! Once I'm through with my Friday radio show on WRCR, I often take a batch out of the freezer that I have pre-made so it’s ready to go Saturday afternoon. With some shredded cheddar cheese and a bag of nacho chips, we’re always ready for whatever winter weather is in store for us."
- 1 1.33 lb. pkg. ground turkey (regular size at Shop Rite)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green and red pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans or red kidney beans (or both!), liquid drained.
- Half jar tomato sauce (I use Ragu Roasted Garlic)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbl. Tabasco sauce
- Brown turkey, onion and peppers in pot.
- Drain fat. Stir in remaining ingredients, in order.
- Cover and simmer over low flame for half-hour, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.