Firefighters from the Scarsdale Fire Department were dispatched shortly before 4:45 a.m. on Sunday, March 24 to a South Church Lane home, where there was a report of a fire in a Fox Meadow neighborhood home.
Upon arrival, crews found smoke spreading throughout the home and launched an investigation into the source. Firefighters quickly located a living room under construction that was isolated by a plastic barrier that was charged with smoke.
Crews worked to knock down the flames, which spread to the second floor through the walls. According to fire officials, firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire and extinguished it before it spread further.
According to police investigators, the homeowner said that she recently finished installing a new fireplace and were instructed to turn it on and run it. The fireplace was shut off at approximately 5:45 p.m. when the family went to dinner.
Before going out, one of the homeowners said that she thought she smelled wood burning, but stated that she believed it could be a neighbor using a wood fireplace, police noted.
The homeowner was woken up when she heard smoke detectors going off and spotted clouds of smoke spreading to the bedroom. The homeowner and her granddaughter were treated by members of the Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps. out of precaution, though there were no signs of injury.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Armonk and receive free news updates.