Father Indicted On Murder Charge In Death Of Westchester Toddler

The 34-year-old father of a toddler who was found unresponsive in a Westchester apartment last month has been indicted by a grand jury on charges that include murder.

Lloyd Scott.
Lloyd Scott. Photo Credit: Mount Vernon Police Department
Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas got emotional while discussing the death of a 2-year-old city resident this week. Photo Credit: Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas

Last month, Mount Vernon resident Lloyd Scott was arrested following an investigation into his dead son, who was found unresponsive in their Esplande Gardens apartment by his mother, who rushed him to Montefiore Mount Vernon Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on April 16.

On Friday, Westchester County District Attorney Anthony Scarpino, Jr. announced that Scott has been arraigned by a grand jury on charges of second-degree murder and two counts of first-degree manslaughter, all felonies. He pleaded not guilty in Westchester County Court on Friday to the charges.

According to Scarpino, prosecutors allege that on April 16, Scott was alone with his 2-year-old son while his mother was at work. During that time, he allegedly beat the child, put him in bed, and when the mother returned home from work, she was told that the child was sleeping. When the mother checked on her son, he was not breathing. Scott allegedly drove the mother and child to Montefiore Mount Vernon Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at approximately 7 p.m.

An autopsy performed by the Westchester County Medical Examiner’s Office determined that the toddler died from blunt force trauma to his body. In a felony complaint filed in Mount Vernon City Court, it is alleged that Scott struck the child, whose name will not be released at the request of the family.

“This toddler’s life was taken away from us by someone he trusted,” Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Thomas said at the time of the alleged murder. “Mount Vernon is grieving right now. Our heart is broken again after losing another one of our children.”

The death had initially been deemed “suspicious” by police investigators, who eventually tracked down Scott at an undisclosed location the day after the alleged incident and took him into custody.

"The tragic death of any human being is hard enough to deal with," Mount Vernon Police Commissioner Shawn Harris said. "The death of a child, a toddler, is one of the hardest calls for a police officer to respond to and investigate.”

Scott remains remanded to the Westchester County Jail. He is due back in court on July 11 to answer the charges.

to follow Daily Voice Armonk and receive free news updates.