The New Rochelle community is rallying together to support the families that were displaced by an early morning fire less than a week before Christmas.
Six families with children between the ages of 3 and 11 were left out in the cold on Wednesday morning, when a fire broke out in a North Avenue apartment at approximately 1 a.m. Fire officials said that the flames were contained to one apartment, but several others suffered severe water damage.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire. In total, 10 apartments were deemed inhospitable by the New Rochelle City Building Department.
In response, the community is coming together to serve as something of a Santa for the families. A GoFundMe fundraising campaign has been started by New Rochelle resident James O’Toole, who is also hosting a fundraiser from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 19 at Dudley’s on Hudson Park Road in New Rochelle.
The Fuller Center on Main Street in New Rochelle is also organizing a Christmas Eve celebration for the displaced families.
Those interested in donating to the fundraising campaign can do so here. O’Toole can be reached regarding donations and helping the families by emailing JOT2147@hotmail.com or calling (914) 797-0469. This information can be shared on social media by clicking below.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.