The community is rallying around the woman who lost her home during an accidental trailer fire in the area.
Fire crews were dispatched to the equestrian center at the Southern Dutchess Equestrian Center in Wappingers Falls on Aug. 26, where there was a report of a trailer fire on the grounds. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames, but the fire, smoke and water damage left the home inhabitable.
The owner of the trailer, Shawna Anderson, who is responsible for dozens of horses on the grounds, was able to escape unharmed, and her dogs were saved from the fire.
In response to the destroyed home, a friend of Anderson started a GoFundMe fundraising campaign to help offset costs as she attempts to remain on the property. In just 11 days since the campaign was started, nearly $4,000 of the stated $10,000 goal had been raised by 31 people.
Anderson will receive the donated money directly from GoFundMe through a weekly check. The first is scheduled to arrive in the coming days.
“Anyone who knows Shawna has witnessed her kind heart and most likely at one time or another have benefited from her generosity,” the page states. “Due to the fact that Shawna is responsible for an equestrian center that houses over 40 horses, she is making an effort to remain on the property even without a home in which to reside. I am hoping that this fundraiser can help get her back on her feet quickly, and relieve some of the financial burden that this fire has caused.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.