HAWTHORNE, N.J. -- Two residents of a Hawthorne apartment building refused hospitalization Saturday morning after chemicals used by a contractor irritated them.
Hawthorne police, firefighters and EMS responded along with a Passaic County hazardous materials team to several 911 calls of an irritating odor at the Mill View Lofts building on Westervelt Avenue.
The odor was traced to a contractor's use of a chemical product that created combustible fumes.
Hawthorne EMS evaluated two residents who said they felt ill, but both refused ambulance transportation to a local hospital.
Firefighters from Companies 2 & 3 assisted in ventilating the building.
Boyd A. Loving contributed to this article.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.