Deadly Levels Of CO Overcome Dumont Couple

Two Dumont residents who were overcome by carbon monoxide gas were rescued by responders.

Dumont police, firefighters and EMS workers responded.

Dumont police, firefighters and EMS workers responded.

Photo Credit: Dumont VAC

Both were taken to Englewood Hospital and Medical Center after police, firefighters and EMS members responded to the Niagara Street home shortly before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The male resident was revived by CPR and brought to the hospital's Intensive Care Unit, responders said.

The female resident was transferred to the Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, they said. Her condition couldn't be determined.

Their dog survived, responders said.

Police first responded to the 911 after a neighbor and friend found the unresponsive victims.

CO levels registered at 700ppm -- so high that a detector in a responder's medical bag immediately sounded. Less than a half hour more of exposure would have most likely proven fatal, responders said.

Acting Dumont Police Chief Brian Joyce, who's also an EMT, was among the heroes who tended to the victims.

"Our first responders are second to none here in the borough of Dumont," Mayor Andrew LaBruno said. "We are incredibly proud of our men and women from our Police Department, Volunteer Fire Department and Volunteer Ambulance Corps."

The mayor commended Joyce along with Detective Sgt. Luke Totten, Detective Matt Gloeckler, Officers Dante Rufo, James Fitzsimmons and Jonathan Decen Rogers, Firefighter Matt Banta, and DVAC members Melissa Aldana and Kerrie Go "for their life-saving efforts."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our residents, and we wish them a speedy recovery," LaBruno said.

He also urged residents to "please have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home with functional batteries. They can save lives."

to follow Daily Voice Bergenfield and receive free news updates.