According to the Environmental Protection Agency, more food reaches landfills and incinerators than any other single material in everyday trash. Food waste shouldn’t be burned or landfilled sine it's wet and heavy, which doesn't make burning it efficient creates methane in landfills.
The EPA has identified landfills as the single-largest source of methane. It is a potent greenhouse gas that is 23 times more efficient at trapping heat than carbon dioxide.
Out of the 37 million tons of food waste generated in the United States, only 5 percent is being captured to be processed into compost, leaving the other 95 percent going to landfills or waste-to-energy sites.
Redding residents who sign up for the program will receive a free collection kit (one gallon kitchen collection bin, six months of compostable bags, six gallon carry container, educational material and more). Residents will bring their organic waste to the recycling center as often as they would like and tip their six-gallon container for a specified amount to be determined. The fee covers the cost of transportation from the recycling center to New England Compost in Danbury, where the material will be processed into compost..
Help Redding decide about offering a new organic disposal service at the Redding Transfer Station by taking this survey.
Ridgefield has instituted a similar recycling program. Read about it by clicking here.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Trumbull-Monroe and receive free news updates.