Fire dispatchers received a 911 call at approximately 12:05 p.m. reporting a fire in the six-unit structure located at 51 Broadway, said Milford Fire Department Battalion Chief Anthony Fabrizi.
First arriving units reported a large volume of smoke coming from the second-floor windows. A hose line was quickly advanced inside of the three-story building, and fire crews managed to extinguish the blaze in less than 15 minutes, Fabrizi said.
A second-floor unit suffered severe damage leaving the apartment uninhabitable. Occupants of the remaining units were displaced due to smoke and water damage, in addition to utilities being turned off to address safety concerns.
A Milford Red Cross representative arrived on the scene to provide assistance for the displaced tenants, he said.
Six pet rabbits were pulled from the apartment suffering smoke inhalation. Firefighters attempted to resuscitate the animals without success. No injuries to the occupants or firefighters were reported.
Milford’s Fire Marshal’s division is investigating the incident, Fabrizi said.
Fire officials are reminding residents to make sure their homes have proper functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Shelton and receive free news updates.