NORWALK, Conn. — State Rep. Fred Wilms is offering to give the president of the ABC Entertainment Group a tour of his hometown of Norwalk to persuade her to "stop making demeaning remarks about Norwalk" on the television show "American Housewife."
In a letter to top network exec Channing Dungey, the Republican lawmaker, "It saddens me that your program, 'American Housewife,' pejoratively references students in my hometown of Norwalk."
Momentum against the show has been building in Norwalk after lifelong resident Andy Ross launched a petition drive that calls on the writers to stop making Norwalk the butt of joke on "American Housewife," which is set in Westport.
Related story: Stop The Norwalk Jokes, Says Local Resident, To ABC's 'American Housewife'
Ross's effort is supported by Norwalk Superintendent Steven Adamowski, who also wrote to Dungey, calling the show's jokes "pejorative, demeaning and divisive."
In his letter, Wilms points out many positive features of Norwalk, including that:
- It is home to prestigious global corporations such as Priceline, Xerox and Pepperidge Farm;
- The City of Norwalk's debt is rated Triple A by Moody’s, Standard & Poor’s and Fitch;
- The Maritime Aquarium is one of the leading tourist destinations in the Northeast;
- The Norwalk High Marching Band is ranked as one of the best in the Northeast;
- Norwalk boasts museums, parks, restaurants, theaters, proximity to New York City and Long Island Sound, and is one of the largest producers of oysters in the nation;
- The nation's only high-end shopping mall is under construction in the U.S. is in Norwalk.
"Perhaps your producers are aware that Norwalk is a city, and not a suburban town like our neighbors Westport, Wilton, New Canaan or Darien," Wilms said in his letter. "Perhaps that is a basis for their negative stereotypes. However, we are proud of our diverse community, and in fact Norwalk’s demographics closely mirror the demographics of the United States as a whole."
Related story: School Chief Says 'American Housewife' Norwalk Jokes Are No Laughing Matter
"If you are in the Northeast, please contact me. I would be delighted to give you a personal tour of our wonderful City," Wilms said in his letter to the president of ABC Entertainment Group.
To read Wilms' full letter, click here. For Andy Ross’s petition, visit www.stoptheinsults.com.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Norwalk and receive free news updates.