NORWALK, Conn. -- With rashes of burglaries into motor vehicles occurring across Fairfield County, the Norwalk Police Department is encouraging city residents to take extra precautions to avoid being targeted.
By following these tips, you can help remove a criminal’s ability or opportunity to commit a crime.
- Always fully close your windows and lock your doors, even if you are leaving you vehicle for a short time.
- Remove all of your valuables from your car. If you are leaving items in the car, leave it out of view, such as in the trunk.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas, or in a secure garage.
- Park your vehicle where it is easily and frequently seen, providing natural surveillance.
- Do not rely on tinted windows to conceal your valuables in your car.
- Use a car alarm -- it can alert you or other persons nearby.
- Be alert in your neighborhood and report any suspicious persons or activity occurring.
If you find your car has been broken into, do not touch anything in, on or around your car. Contact the Norwalk Police Department at 203-854-3000.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.