NORWALK, Conn. — A black bear was spotted on Half Mile Road on Tuesday evening, the Norwalk Police Department reported via Twitter.
Half Mile Road is located north of the Merritt Parkway east of Route 7, near St. Jerome Church.
The Norwalk Police Department reminded residents of tips of dealing with bears near your home from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection:
- Bears are attracted to the garbage, pet food, compost piles, fruit trees, and birdfeeders.
- Do remove birdfeeders and bird food from late March through November.
- Do eliminate food attractants by placing garbage cans inside a garage or shed. Add ammonia to trash to make it unpalatable.
- Do clean and store grills in a garage or shed after use.
- Don't intentionally feed bears. Bears that become accustomed to finding food near your home may become "problem" bears.
- Don't approach or try to get closer to a bear to get a photo or video.
- Don't leave pet food outside overnight.
- Don't add meat or sweets to a compost pile.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Norwalk and receive free news updates.