NORWALK, Conn. – A photo by Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk publicist Dave Sigworth was recently recognized by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums in the 2017 AZA Photo Contest.
Sigworth's photo of one of the Aquarium's ribboned sea dragons was named one of 12 Honorable Mentions in the contest, which recognizes exceptional photography taken at AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums. All photos in the contest were taken by staff or volunteers at an AZA facility, and feature animals, people, habitats and other zoo or aquarium scenes.
This year's winning photo was submitted by Grahm Jones of Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and spotlights the zoo's polar bear, Anana, swimming with her cub, Amelia Gray.
The winning photo and other exceptional submissions are highlighted in the December issue of AZA's member magazine, "Connect."
The submissions were all named Honorable Mentions in the contest:
- "Ribboned Sea Dragon" by Dave Sigworth, Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk
- "Greater Argus" by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren, Woodland Park Zoo
- "Little (Fairy) Penguin" by Kegan Storms, Abilene Zoo
- "Reticulated Giraffe" by Shandy Mikkelsen, Blank Park Zoo
- "Mandrill" by Jamie Pham, Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens
- "Ring-tailed Lemur" by Todd Stailey, Tennessee Aquarium
- "Coquerel’s Sifaka" by David Haring, Duke Lemur Center
- "Decorated Warbonnet and Strawberry Anemone" by Vanessa Volkommer, Vancouver Aquarium
- "Dama Gazelle" by Dave Liggett, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- "Red Ruffed Lemur" by Caitlin Kenney, Lemur Conservation Foundation
- "Red Panda" by Amanda Carberry, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- "California Sea Lion" by Julie Larsen Maher, Wildlife Conservation Society
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.