Whether you're grilling in, going out or simply chilling, Daye says his below recipe, designed per chicken, makes for an easy holiday weekend meal.
Sweet & Zesty Rosemary & Garlic Grilled Whole Chicken
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 5-6 cloves Garlic, finely chopped and mashed (use side of knife or large spoon to mash) or you can buy chopped garlic in a jar from your local grocer.
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 (2-3-pound) Whole chicken butterflied
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Optional (For a little kick add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper)
- Place the chicken on a cutting board breast-side-down. Working from the cavity opening up to the neck, cut down each side of the back bone with a pair of kitchen shears. Discard the backbone. Grab the chicken with one breast in each hand and open it like a book, exposing the cavity of the bird.
- Whisk together the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and rosemary in a large baking dish. Add the whole chicken and turn to coat the entire chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade, hold chicken over baking dish to let excess marinade drip away, place chicken on a sheet pan and season with salt and pepper on both sides to taste.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin-side down, and cook at a grill temp of 325 to 350 for about 20 minutes with cover closed , baste with leftover marinade then turn over, close the cover and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until cooked through, about 160 degrees internal temp.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. Cut desired amount for serving. It goes great with grilled corn or grilled bell peppers.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Norwalk and receive free news updates.