The department said it has investigated burglaries on upper Elm Street and Gerrish Lane.
In response, Police Chief Leon Krolikowski is asking residents to take a minute to review the following tips that help keep burglars at bay:
- Be wary of unknown visitors, always check ID's and never hire someone who comes to your door soliciting work.
- Get to know your neighbors and look out for them. Report suspicious activity.
- Don't leave clues you are out of town by making sure your mail is canceled and your home is secure. Have someone check on things.
- Don't give burglars a place to hide. Trim all hedges and bushes away from your home.
- Lock up, and bring keys inside. Never leave your keys in your vehicle so burglars can then get in your home.
- Light up your home. Have outdoor lights that cover the perimeter.
- Install security video systems to help monitor movement at your home.
- Use alarm systems.
- Schedule a security check with the police department where an officer can show you where there are weak points in security.
- Join or start a neighborhood watch group.
- Mark and secure valuables.
- And, always contact the police if you see or hear something suspicious.
For more information, contact the New Canaan Police at 203-594-3500.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.