New Canaan Police are warning residents that within the past week there have been two residential burglaries.
The department said it has investigated burglaries on upper Elm Street and Gerrish Lane.
In response, Police Chief Leon Krolikowski is asking residents to take a minute to review the following tips that help keep burglars at bay:
- Be wary of unknown visitors, always check ID's and never hire someone who comes to your door soliciting work.
- Get to know your neighbors and look out for them. Report suspicious activity.
- Don't leave clues you are out of town by making sure your mail is canceled and your home is secure. Have someone check on things.
- Don't give burglars a place to hide. Trim all hedges and bushes away from your home.
- Lock up, and bring keys inside. Never leave your keys in your vehicle so burglars can then get in your home.
- Light up your home. Have outdoor lights that cover the perimeter.
- Install security video systems to help monitor movement at your home.
- Use alarm systems.
- Schedule a security check with the police department where an officer can show you where there are weak points in security.
- Join or start a neighborhood watch group.
- Mark and secure valuables.
- And, always contact the police if you see or hear something suspicious.
For more information, contact the New Canaan Police at 203-594-3500.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.