Police have issued a warning to local residents regarding a number of mail thefts that have occurred in the area.
The thefts have reportedly involved ongoing mail being taken from the United States Post Office depositories. Any checks in the stolen mail are then removed, altered and deposited into fraudulent accounts.
Reports say other towns throughout Fairfield County are experiencing similar issues. The Darien Police Department is working alongside local post officers to upgrade depositories to theft-deterrent models.
Here’s what local residents can do to limit their risk of outgoing mail theft:
- Walk into the post office to drop off outgoing mail
- Use online banking services whenever possible
- Consider making payments using check-by-phone
- Use automatic payments for recurring bills
- Set up “fraud alerts” with your local bank
- Keep a close watch over accounts where payments are made
Darien Police urge residents to report instances of fraudulent activity immediately and are available to discuss questions and concerns.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.