Six people were charged in an overnight sobriety checkpoint in Port Jefferson Station.
A total of 526 vehicles went through the checkpoint, located on Route 112 at Hallock Avenue, started at 11:30 p.m. Friday, June 28, and lasted until around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, June 29.
The checkpoint was part of on-going July 4th holiday enforcement operations for the prevention of injuries and fatalities associated with driving while ability impaired by alcohol and drugs.
The following people were charged with driving while intoxicated:
- Whitney Owensby, 24, of 57 North Country Road, Shoreham
- John Barrett, 60, of 407 Ontario St., Ronkonkoma
- Samantha Kellar, 30, of 3 Spruce Court, Selden
- Matthew Miller, 30, of 2906 Chestnut Ave., Medford
The four will be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on June 29.
The following people were charged with driving while ability impaired:
- Julio Talboth-Vasquez, 24, of 54 Charter Road, Selden
- Joseph Marino, 58, of 77 Harrisburg St., Bay Shore
Both were issued a field appearance ticket and will be arraigned at a later date.
Police officers from the Suffolk County Police Department Highway Patrol Bureau were assisted by New York State Troopers.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.