Police responded to a residence on DeLaval Place on Monday, Jan. 14 after 11 p.m. after hearing reports of a domestic dispute.
The caller stated that her ex-boyfriend, 26-year-old Eric S. Alexander of Lagrangeville, was trying to break into the home, according to police. Alexander arrived and broke in through the home’s back door.
After entering, Alexander allegedly proceeded to break items and property inside the home worth approximately $250.
Alexander then got into a physical altercation with the caller and put pressure on her throat to impede her breathing, according to police. Alexander tried to prevent the victim from calling 911 twice: once by removing the phone from her possession and again by destroying the phone.
The female resident was able to escape as police arrived. Alexander was arrested and charged with the following:
- Second-degree burglary, a class C felony
- Third-degree criminal mischief, a class E felony
- Fourth-degree criminal mischief (2 counts)
- Endangering the welfare of a child, a class A misdemeanor
- Criminal obstruction of breathing, a class A misdemeanor
- Second-degree harassment, a violation
Alexander was held pending arraignment in the Town of Poughkeepsie Court on Tuesday, Jan. 15.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Southwest Dutchess and receive free news updates.