A 15-year-old's attempt to copy a dangerous online stunt ignited a fire on South Center Street in the Village of Millerton on Thursday, state police said Friday.
The teen doused his finger in rubbing alcohol and then set it on fire while standing at the kitchen sink at about 4:30 p.m., police said. As he panicked, he inadvertently transferred the fire to the rubbing alcohol bottle which exploded and caused his shirt and the kitchen curtains to catch fire, police said.
The boy subsequently ran to a nearby business where a Good Samaritan from the business was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
The teen was transported by ambulance to Sharon Hospital with burns to his upper torso. He was later transported to Westchester Medical Center for further medical treatment.
The case remains under investigation as the state police warns parents about this dangerous stunt involving accelerants.
Millerton Fire Department and EMS responded to the scene.
For real-time Dutchess news in your Facebook feed, be sure to "Like" Daily Voice's Dutchess Community Forum page on Facebook by clicking here.
For real-time Putnam news in your Facebook feed, be sure to "Like" Daily Voice's Putnam County page on Facebook by clicking here.
To follow @DVDutchess, Daily Voice Dutchess on Twitter, click here.
To follow @PutnamDV, Putnam Daily Voice on Twitter, click here.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Southwest Dutchess and receive free news updates.