A 58-year-old Northern Westchester woman who died during an early morning fire on Friday has been identified.
A lit cigarette likely caused the blaze that caused Ann Marie Carroll-McElligott to perish from smoke inhalation at the Waterview on the Hudson apartment complex in Ossining, according to Police Chief Kevin Sylvester.
Carroll-McElligott, who suffered from a medical condition, may have been unconscious, investigators believe.
Police waited to notify her son of her death before releasing her name to the public.
An official cause of death will be determined by the Westchester County Medical Examiner, Sylvester said on Friday.
Ossining firefighters responded to the fire around 5:20 a.m. at 42 Cedar Lane, and found the flames contained to the one apartment, according to the Ossining Police Department.
Firefighters were able to douse the flames quickly but found Carroll-McElligott once inside, police said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.