Kyle Caruso, 29, was riding in the passenger seat of a car driven by Jonathan Farkas, whom Pound Ridge Police Chief David Ryan said was pulled over for two traffic violations Friday and charged with possession of heroin and hypodermic needles in the car.
Farkas had an active warrant out of New York City for possession of a weapon, and Caruso was on probation in Westchester County for prior convictions for heroin possession, Ryan said. As a result, Pound Ridge police, assisted by probation officers, later searched Caruso’s apartment and recovered:
- 125 hypodermic needles
- Several switch blade knives
- One high capacity nine millimeter magazine restricted for law enforcement use only
- 300 glassine envelopes
- Two simulated nine millimeter handguns with associated magazines
- A large amount of drug paraphernalia
- A variety of prescription drugs
- A small amount of marijuana
- Drug paraphernalia.
In addition, a sum of jewelry, watches and other items were recovered, which Caruso admitted he stole, Ryan said. Caruso also told police he uses 30 bags of heroin a day, according to the police chief. Caruso was charged with:
- Two counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a felony
- Six counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor
- One count of criminal possession of hypodermic instruments, a misdemeanor
- One count of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor
He was arraigned in Pound Ridge Town Court and remanded to the Westchester County jail on $10,000 cash bail or $20,000 bond. Farkas was released on bail, but immediately re-arrested on the New York City warrant and transported by the NYPD early Monday morning.
“The investigation continues as to the source of the heroin, prescription drugs and other materials seized as well as determining the origin of the jewelry and other items recovered,” Ryan wrote in a press release.
Pound Ridge police are working with the Westchester County Department of Probation.
Caruso is due back in court March 3.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Pound Ridge and receive free news updates.