Thomas John "Tom" Brokaw, a long time Pound Ridge resident, turns 74 on Thursday.
Brokaw, a television journalist and author, best known as the anchor and managing editor of NBC Nightly News from 1982 to 2004, was born February 6, 1940, in Webster, South Dakota.
He is the author of The Greatest Generation (1998) and other books and the recipient of numerous awards and honors. He is the only person to host all three major NBC News programs: The Today Show, NBC Nightly News, and, briefly, Meet the Press. He now serves as a Special Correspondent for NBC News and works on documentaries for other outlets.
His many awards and accolades include;
- 1993 Emmy award for reporting on floods in the Midwest
- 1995 Dennis Kauff Memorial Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism from Boston University
- 1998 American Legion award for distinguished public service in the field of communication.
- 1998 Citizens' Scholarship Foundation of America's President's Award recognizing "devotion to helping young people through scholarships."
- 1999 Congressional Medal of Honor Society's "Tex" McCrary Excellence in Journalism Award
- 2006 Washington State University Edward R. Murrow School of Communications Lifetime Achievement in Broadcasting Award
- 2006 Walter Cronkite Award for Journalism Excellence at Arizona State University.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Pound Ridge and receive free news updates.