SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- A second home that provides a place for the family to get away is often a dream come true. However, without taking the right precautions, especially during cold months, that dream home can become a maintenance nightmare.
According to Scarsdale-based insurer, Advocate Brokerage Corp, while both fire and water pose a threat to any home, damage is 10 times more likely to occur due to water than fire.
Water leaks ruin everything:
The leading homeowner claim that Advocate Brokerage deals with on a regular basis is damage caused by a burst pipe. A pipe can crack due to an increase in water pressure, and even a crack as small as 1/8 of an inch can leak over 250 gallons of water a day.
Water damage from burst pipes or ice dams can cause:
- Cracked ceilings or walls
- Peeling paint
- Wet carpeting
- Buckled or tiled flooring
- Wet insulation
- Collapsed rain gutters
Smart technology saves the day:
Before purchasing, building or renovating a home away from home, Advocate Brokerage recommends taking advantage of smart technology.
Some home devices include:
- Water flow sensors that automatically turn off the main water supply in the house when a leak is detected.
- Smart thermostats that conserve energy and adjusts the temperature to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Leak and mold detection sensors.
- Back-up generators that turn on automatically when the power goes out.
What about the added expense?
Cost is often a factor when it comes to adding smart technology in a second home, so look to cut back on luxury items and save money for necessities.
The good news is owners can often receive discounts from their insurance carrier for installing safety devices in the home. For more helpful tips from Advocate Brokerage, visit their website.