NORTH SALEM, N.Y. - As of Friday morning, there were just a few areas of North Salem that had not yet recovered their power. Starr Ridge Road was one of them.
At 7:45 a.m. a Starr Ridge Road homeowner called 911 to report a house fire with heavy smoke on the first and second floors. The occupants of the house evacuated the premises.
Firefighters from Croton Falls, Brewster, Goldens Bridge, South Salem and Mill Plain, Conn. responded, along with the North Salem Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
James Penny, Captain of the Croton Falls Fire Department, reported that firemen discovered a room and its contents on fire on the first floor of the house. An aggressive and speedy attack contained the fire to a single room and its contents. There was smoke damage to other parts of the house.
There was no arson or foul play, Penny said. He attributed the fire to a short in a malfunctioning computer modem, running on a generator. [The homeowners] didnt do anything incorrect. It was just an act of God.
No one was injured.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.