MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. After weeks of debating, which led to a schism of opinion in the community, incumbents Yuhanna Edwards and Roberta Apuzzo, along with former councilmember Marcus Griffith were victorious in the Mount Vernon City Council Democratic Primary.
With 62 of 74 districts reporting, it looks like the incumbents have an advantage.
Edwards (23 percent), Griffith (20 percent) and Apuzzo (27 percent) distanced themselves from newcomers Andre Bailey (11 percent), Damon Jones (11 percent), Maria Caraballo (11 percent) and Damaris Mone (7 percent).
Each candidate earned the following number of votes, with 62 districts out of 74 districts reporting:
- Yuhanna Edwards: 1,824 votes; 23 percent
- Marcus Griffith: 1,595 votes; 20 percent
- Roberta Apuzzo: 1,394 votes; 17 percent
- Damon Jones: 845 votes; 11 percent
- Maria Caraballo: 904 votes; 11 percent;
- Andre Bailey: 904 votes; 11 percent;
- Damaris Mone: 527 votes; seven percent.
Keep following The Mount Vernon Daily Voice for continued coverage.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.