MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – A pair of derelict buildings in Mount Vernon will be demolished by the end of October following nearly a year of delays to the proposed project.
About a year ago, legislation was passed in Mount Vernon that would permit the Buildings Department to demolish four deteriorating houses that were a visual eyesore and potentially dangerous if they were to collapse.
Two of the four houses were destroyed, leaving properties on South Sixth Avenue and West Third Avenue that still need to be destroyed.
On Wednesday, Council member Richard Thomas said the job ought to be completed by Nov. 1, when severe weather could fell the houses and cause a hazard. He said he is hopeful of creating a committee that could tear down similar buildings that are littered throughout the city.
Residents have found the decaying buildings to be such a problem that Helena Mattis and her daughter created a video depicting the problem a few years ago.
Mattis could not be reached for comment, but Vince Deen, who was walking down Sixth Avenue near the rundown house, agreed with his neighbor.
“Something really needs to be done. They promise us they’re going to take care of it, but then nothing ever happens,” he said. “One of these days, it’s going to fall down and someone is going to get hurt, or worse. Maybe then they’ll keep their promises.”
Last year, a contract was awarded to destroy the buildings, remove the rubble, backfill the foundations and perform lot cleanup. Davis said that problems with the original contractors led to the demolition delays.
Genesus One Enterprises, out of Maspeth, was awarded a new contract. Once they are given approval from the city and clearance from Con Edison, they will begin tearing down the houses.
Con Edison crews were stationed outside the Sixth Avenue home on Thursday, but a spokesperson for the company did not immediately return calls to The Daily Voice about what work was being done in the area.
“Although this has been a long process, problems we’ve had with contractors have been resolved and we’re now ready to remove two unsafe structures,” Davis said. “With the removal of these neighborhood nuisances, residents can feel safer and more confident in their own community.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.