Contact Us
Mount Pleasant Daily Voice serves Mount Pleasant & Valhalla
Return to your home site


Mount Pleasant Daily Voice serves Mount Pleasant & Valhalla

Nearby Towns


Westchester Woman Pleads Not Guilty In Death Of 2-Year-Old Daughter

Cynthia Arce in Westchester County Court. Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office
Cynthia Arce in Westchester County Court. Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office
Cynthia Arce Photo Credit: Westchester County District Attorney's Office
Gabriella Boyd Photo Credit: GoFundMe

The 29-year-old Westchester mother who allegedly killed her 2-year-old daughter and attempted to stab two police officers providing her aid has been arraigned on a murder charge.

Mamaroneck resident Cynthia Arce was in Westchester County Court on Tuesday for her arraignment, where she was charged with one count of second-degree murder, for the death of her toddler daughter, Gabriella Boyd. She pleaded not guilty.

According to the indictment, on April 28, members of the Mamaroneck Police Department responded to a Chestnut Avenue home, where there was an emergency call from Arce’s mother - who also lived with the family - reporting that someone was dying. Upon arrival, they found Boyd unresponsive on her bed.

Officers attempted to immediately resuscitate Boyd, while others checked the house, where they found Arce in an adjacent bedroom with the door closed.

Police said that Arce had her hands behind her back and refused to comply with orders to show her hands. When she did finally consent, she raised her arms above her shoulders, revealing two large knives, one in each hand.

Westchester County District Attorney Anthony Scarpino Jr. said that Arce charged at the officers, slashing at two of them. When tasers failed to subdue her, a third officer shot her, promptly ending the confrontation. Two of the officers suffered injuries in the struggle.

Police continued efforts to keep Boyd alive in the meantime until paramedics arrived. The toddler was transported to White Plains Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The death came less than 24 hours after Gabriella's father, Stephen Boyd attempted to have his daughter removed from Arce's home. He obtained a court order granting him temporary custody, barring Arce with any contact with the girl. 

However, when police attempted to enforce the order on April 27, Arce refused to comply, claiming that the father had his regular visitation in the morning. Officers left the scene, citing that they did not have the authority to forcibly remove the girl from the Mamaroneck home.

The following day, Arce claimed that her daughter was sick, denying her father access to the child. Police then said that the matter was civil in nature, saying they could not enforce the court order.

An autopsy performed by the Westchester County Medical Examiner determined that Boyd’s death was a homicide.

Arce was taken to Westchester County Medical Center, where she was treated for several weeks for her gunshot wounds. 

She was subsequently arrested at the hospital, charged, and remanded to the Westchester County Jail, where she has remained remanded since.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Mount Pleasant Daily Voice!

Serves Mount Pleasant & Valhalla

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.