LARCHMONT, N.Y. – The Long Island Sound chapter of nonprofit Swim Across America announced that its summer season of events has begun, with the first of eight swims planned for Westchester Country Club in Rye on Saturday, July 11.
Swim Across America specializes in raising money for cancer research, prevention and treatment. The Long Island Sound chapter was founded in 1992 and raised over $1 million last summer.
“I continue to be amazed by and thankful for the hundreds of swimmers and volunteers who participate in our annual swims,” says chapter President Tony Sibio. “Each participant is a hero who helps us raise crucial funds that have a direct impact in the fight against cancer and on cancer patients' lives.”
The Rye swim will run from 6:30-9:30 a.m., and the rest of the schedule is as follows:
- Friday, July 17: NYAC Travers Island in Pelham from 6:30-9 p.m.
- Saturday, July 18: Orienta Beach Club in Mamaroneck from 6:15-9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, July 19: Chappaqua Swim & Tennis Club from 6:30-9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, July 23: Coveleigh Club in Rye from 3-5 p.m.
- Saturday, July 25: An open-water swim in Long Island Sound in Larchmont from 6 a.m.-noon.
- Sunday, July 26: Lakeside Field Club in North Salem from 5-8 p.m.
- Saturday, Aug. 1: Lake Isle Country Club in Eastchester from 6:30-9:30 a.m.
There will also be a Rockland County-based swim on Sunday, July 12, aa Germonds Pool in Clarkstown will host a swim from 7-10 a.m.
For more information about Swim Across America's Long Island Sound chapter, including how to register, donate or to sponsor swimmers, call 914-769-8411 or go online to www.swimacrossamerica.org/long_island.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.