PORT CHESTER, N.Y. -- A Port Chester man was arrested on Thursday after he intentionally left a stove's gas on in his apartment, police said.
At about 9:45 a.m. Thursday, Port Chester Fire Department and village police responded to a report of a gas odor at 50 South Main St., Apt 2J, police said. Upon arrival at the apartment, fire department personnel detected a heavy concentration of gas. They immediately shut off the gas and evacuated nearby apartments. The apartment building has about 135 residents.
Further investigation indicated the resident of the apartment, Steven Cordero, 25, had intentionally turned on his stove's gas jets and removed the apartments smoke detector before attempting to barricade the door and flee the building, police said on Friday.
Responding police units began an intensive search for Cordero and he was arrested without incident about two blocks from his apartment.
Cordero was being held ob Friday at Port Chester Police Headquarters on a charge of second-degree reckles endangerment. The investigation is ongoing and additional charges may result, police said.
Port Chester Police Chief Richard Conway said, " The quick thinking of the building superintendant followed by the skillful and heroic actions of first responders averted a potential tragedy in the 135-resident building."
No one was hurt, police said.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Harrison and receive free news updates.