GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- With fewer daylight hours during the winter months, burglaries become more common. Greenburgh Police Chief Joseph DeCarlo is offering tips to residents to keep homes and families safe.
Here's a list of things that make a home a target to burglars:
- An unlighted home. Absence of interior lighting indicates a home is unoccupied.
- Ground floor windows left unlocked and/or open.
- Residence doors left unlocked and/or open.
- Garage doors left open.
- Accumulated newspapers outside residence.
- Mail accumulated in mailbox.
- Snow un-shoveled.
- Grass Overgrown.
- Packages left in plain view.
Important steps that can be taken in order to prevent burglaries are:
- Setting your alarm. Many times, burglary victims have alarms that were not set.
- Installing exterior lights with motion sensors.
- Securing valuables in discreet locations other than the master bedroom.
- Partnering with the police. If you see something suspicious, call police.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.