Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton
Return to your home site


Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: COVID-19: Cases Of More Contagious South African Strain Have Now Been Reported In These States
Police & Fire

Buchanan Police: Case Of Severely Beaten Man Remains Open

Buchanan Police are still investigating a case where a Buchanan man was severely beaten, police believe by a group of local teens.
Buchanan Police are still investigating a case where a Buchanan man was severely beaten, police believe by a group of local teens. Photo Credit: Jessica Glenza

BUCHANAN, N.Y. – An investigation into the severe beating of a Buchanan man that involved a group of local teens remains open one month later, Buchanan Police said.

The man was left with several facial fractures and was hospitalized for five days after he was beaten by a group described as four or five white males between 15 and 18 years old.

The time and day the incident occurred is one of the challenges affecting the case, Buchanan Police Chief Brian Tubbs said. He continued, "It's the fact that after the incident occurred, that schools closed, so the rumor mill wasn't functioning as well as it would have if school had been open that Monday. So, that certainly hasn't helped us."

The incident occurred the day before Hurricane Sandy struck, which closed most area schools for the following week.

Although police identified persons of interest, Tubbs said they don't have enough information to make arrests. Tubbs said about eight people called police with information about the case, following a story published by The Cortlandt Daily Voice.

According to police, the man was beaten while walking home from Fulgum's bar at about 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 28. The group knocked the man down at Burke Court and Tate Avenue, and punched and kicked him several times before fleeing, according to police.

The suspects were described by witnesses as four or five white male teenagers between 15 and 18 years old, with one member who is approximately 6-foot, 2-inches tall or taller, about one head taller than the rest of the group. Although there were several witnesses, they did not provide police with individual descriptions of members of the group, police said.

The victim first encountered the group in the vicinity of Adell Court and Trolley Road in Montrose, where, police said, words were exchanged. The group and the victim then parted ways and the man continued his walk home to Burke Court in Buchanan.

The man got as far as Burke Court and Tate Avenue in Buchanan, when the victim told police he heard someone behind him. Before he could turn around, he was struck, police said. The man was knocked to the ground, where witnesses said the group punched and kicked the man several times, before fleeing on Tate Avenue in the direction of Kings Ferry Road, police said.

The man was transported to Hudson Valley Hospital Center and then transferred to Westchester Medical Center, where he spent five days in the hospital. It later was reported he suffered several facial fractures as a result of the incident.

Tubbs said anyone involved in the incident would face felony assault charges.

Buchanan Police can be contacted at 914-739-6776.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Cortlandt Daily Voice!

Serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.