TEANECK, N.J. -- The Teaneck Public Library has announced the installation of a slab of the historic red oak tree that stood at the corner of Cedar Lane and Palisade Avenue for some 250 years.
The section of the tree now sits on the main floor of the library courtyard on a stand constructed by Anthony Santella, with an explanatory Plexiglas sign designed and fabricated by Majestic Signs of Teaneck.
The tree succumbed to disease and was cut down in June 2013 after efforts to preserve it by the Puffin Foundation.
The tree, which stood on a lot that also housed a historic home that dated back to colonial times, was owned by Julius P. Richter from 1921 until at least the 1960s.
The piece of the tree joins a portrait of the first township clerk, the 1976 bicentennial observance committee sign, the murals in the reference room, a portrait of William Walter Phelps, a bust of Edith Van Buren and other artifacts on public display at the library.
For more information, contact Michael McCue at email@example.com or call 201-837-4171.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.