Contact Us
Mahwah-Ramsey Daily Voice serves Mahwah & Ramsey
Return to your home site


Mahwah-Ramsey Daily Voice serves Mahwah & Ramsey

Nearby Towns

DV Pilot Police & Fire

CONDO FIRE: Mahwah Resident, 52, Fell Asleep On Couch With Lit Cigarette, Police Say

Mahwah firefighters
Mahwah firefighters Photo Credit: FILE PHOTO

A Mahwah condo resident was hospitalized with minor injuries after he fell asleep on a couch with a lighted cigarette that ignited a smoky fire, authorities said.

Officers and firefighters found smoke pouring from the rear window of a Hemingway Lane residence in the Ridge Gardens Condominiums complex just after 4 a.m., Police Chief Stephen Jaffe said.Firefighters found the 52-year-old victim unconscious on the still-smoldering couch in a rear room of the ground-floor apartment, Jaffe said.They carried him outside to safety with help from Officer Thomas Mitchell, the chief said.

Sprinklers doused the blaze, which Jaffe said had spread significantly.

The victim, meanwhile, was brought to The Valley Hospital, he said.

Neighboring apartments were evacuated while Mahwah firefighters cleared the smoke and Sgt. Michael Blondin investigated.

Authorities soon after deemed the building safe to re-enter, with no water, smoke or fire damage found in the adjacent units, Jaffe said.

"The actions, professionalism and teamwork of the Mahwah fire personnel and Mahwah police officers on scene during this situation should be acknowledged," the chief said.

Mahwah Fire Res1ue and a Ramsey FAST Team were among the responders.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Mahwah-Ramsey Daily Voice!

Serves Mahwah & Ramsey

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Mahwah-Ramsey Daily Voice!

Serves Mahwah & Ramsey

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.